Buying Guide for Custom Window Coverings
Custom window coverings affect a room's lighting, it's colour and even the temperature. The window treatments you choose can establish your home's mood, whether it is casual or formal. We offer a wide range of national name brands and exclusive private brand treatments offering environmentally friendly energy efficient window treatments
Why Choose Sears?
We’ve been committed to providing homeowners with satisfaction guaranteed installed home improvements for more than 40 years.
A quality job by insured licensed professionals. You bet! And keeping your home tidy once all the work is done? We do that too! Guess what? We can even help you get access to available government grants and tax rebates. Plus, at Sears we offer 7 affordable financing options in order to fit the payment needs of our valued customers.
When you choose Sears, there is no need to attend a crash-course in home improvements or worry about quality. Spend time doing what you really want and leave the work up to us.
Customers can make an appointment with one of Sears’ trained design professionals to meet in their home. They’ll help the customer decide what looks best on their windows, fitting into their lifestyle preference and budget. Sears will then measure, tailor and install the custom window coverings. In-home consultation is free.
3 Steps to a Professional Installation
1. A professional installer will ensure your custom window treatment that has been designed and fabricated specific to a particular window and will professionally install allowing for the proper projection, proportion, operation not to mention beauty.
2. Having the right tools, hardware and the know-how makes the difference. A professional installer can make a so-so drapery look great, and the do-it-yourself installer can make the beautifully fabricated draperies look like disasters!
3. After your project is done, our professional installers will clean up the surrounding area.
Available Products including Features and Benefits
Today’s custom window covering options include many practical aspects. They help to control the amount of natural light filtering into the room. They also provide privacy, insulate against both heat and cold extremes, and include child and pet safe features not available in years past.
At the same time, modern day custom window treatments make a distinct fashion statement; complimenting interior design, and enhancing room décor and ambiance. In fact, the right choice in window covering can turn the ordinary into extraordinary whether you choose designer shades, a custom window sheer or drape, a wood blind or a shutter. Plus Sears also offers custom bed coverings, upholstered items and accessories. Custom bedding will complement the custom window treatments and other furnishings in your room — perfectly.
Consider the different types of custom window treatments now available:
- Sheers, draperies, valances, swags, cornices
- Roman Shades
- Woven Wood Shades
- Pleated Shades
- Cellular (honeycomb) Shades
- Roller shades
- Silhouette®, Luminette® Privacy Sheers, Nantucket®, Pirouette® window shades
- Horizontal and vertical shades – in a variety of styles
There is a nearly endless list of colours from which to select; solids, patterns, and designs. As well as texture and material type considerations. The choice can further be broken down into whether to select a lightweight, medium weight, or insulated window shade; sheer, light-filtering or blackout.
And then which particular features to include; a pull or a wand, cord or cordless, manual or motorized. Located on the right or left side; to draw the shade up or down from the bottom or top. Or even from side to side.
Boutique: Quality & Value from Sears’ Private Label line of custom window coverings
The Boutique line of installed custom shutters and shades is exclusive to Sears and offers the quality and fashion forward finish of designer brands at a fraction of the cost. It’s great to know that the product line is 100% Canadian and made by a well-respected manufacturer with over 30 years of industry experience.
The Boutique collection consists of the most comprehensive and complete assortment of shutters available in both vinyl and wood. The product offers unparallel variety and value, with 3 different size louvers and a wide assortment of colours and finishes to choose from, all supported by a 25 year warranty. Boutique also provides the most popular design options in blinds and shades – alternative shades, roman shades, roller shades, cellular shades, pleated shades, panel tracks, wood blinds and faux wood blinds in custom finishes, textures and colours.
Shop at Sears. Save Energy. Save Money.
Sears offers many energy efficient custom window treatments. Energy Efficient Window Coverings offer wonderful energy savings as well as protection from the sun! Even if you have less than perfect windows and are not ready to invest in new ones, custom window coverings work great, help brighten your home and give you extra privacy. Custom window coverings can stop the heat from entering your home when it's hot and keep the warmth in when it's cold.
Plus at Sears we carry a wide selection of custom window blinds, shades and shutters that are GreenGuard Certified. The GreenGuard Environmental Institute establishes acceptable indoor air standards for indoor products, environments, and buildings. GEI’s mission is to improve public health and quality of life through programs that improve indoor air.
Why buy custom?
- Choices - Sears offers an array of national brands such as Levolor, Hunter Douglas and Shade-O-Matic.
- Sizes - Sears can fit all types of windows with custom-made window coverings - Perfect for hard-to-fit sizes.
- Styles - Sears offers hundreds of fabrics, patterns and colour choices as well as shades, wood blinds and verticals, shutters, along with energy saving thermals, light-blocking blackouts, child safety features, safety-smart remote controls and more.
- Value - Sears will work within customers’ budgets to deliver them stylish and high-quality window coverings. Special payment plans are available.
- Convenience - Sears offers shop at home service with a no obligation, in home estimates.
- Service - Sears has professional decorators and installers who will work with customers in their homes.
What’s the difference between ready-made, made-to-order and custom?
Ready-made treatments are select sizes a manufacturer offers the retailer. You just purchase “off the rack”. With made-to-order, you are limited to select styles, fabrics and options, but this offers something better than the in stock program. Custom window treatments are made specifically for YOUR window, taking into consideration proportion, projection, fabric selections and the overall design intent. The sky is the limit!
What does private label mean?
Private label is the name a retailer has given to a line of products that offer a point of differentiation with value added features.
What is a hard treatment?
A hard treatment refers to mini blinds, verticals, horizontal blinds, cellular shades, woven wood shades, roller shades and shutters.
What is a soft treatment?
A soft treatment is a window treatment that is fabricated from fabric; a drapery, a valance, a roman shade and any other treatment involving fabric.
When shopping for custom window coverings, you may not care that much about the brand you’re buying. But, unless you like replacing window treatments every couple years, it’s smart to pay attention to what brand you buy. As with anything, the adage “you get what you pay for” is certainly true when it comes to window blinds.
Major window blind and shade brands will have more options when it comes to materials, finishes, mounting hardware and operating controls. One excellent child safety feature is cordless blinds.
Before Buying Custom Window Coverings, what should you consider?
- Privacy and light control
- Energy efficiency and UV protection
- Fashion and design
- Carefree operation and maintenance
- Functionalities like sun filtration or blocking, noise absorption, view enhancement and ventilation
- Cordless lifting systems for shades
- Operation systems such as standard, remote control, wireless motorization
With such a variety of window treatment offerings, care and cleaning instructions are available by product category. Each manufacturer recommends care and maintenance for their window treatments.
Other Décor Products and Services available:
Kitchen and Bathroom Renovation
Storage Solutions - We Offer Storage Solutions for:
- All types of closets
- Home Offices
- Laundry Rooms
- Kitchen Pantries
- Media Centres