Buying Guides for Electric Blankets
Benefits of Electric Blankets
Electric Blankets are useful for many different reasons. While the obvious use for these cozy accoutrements is to keep you warm in cooler weather, you might be surprised at other benefits:
- Great for pre-warming your bed before climbing in for the night
- Helps to control home heating energy / fuel costs
- Allows you to keep a cool room without the weight of multiple or heavier blankets
- Helps to manage individual comfort when two people share a bed
- Can help reduce pain associated with various ailments, such as sore muscles, arthritis or fibromyalgia
Care of Electric Blankets
Although most manufacturers of electric blankets indicate limited washing and drying of their products, you should always check the label for cleaning instructions. For those that can be laundered, a short, gentle wash cycle and a cool drying temperature are best. Commercial dryers are not recommended as the temperatures on those machines are generally very hot and could damage the blanket. Also, never dry clean or iron an electric blanket.
Use Electric Blankets with Caution
While Electric Blankets are cozy and warm on a cool night, you should remember that they are electric appliances that do carry risks. Please be sure to thoroughly read and follow all instructions, manuals and tip sheets that come with your new purchase.