Sears has always been, and will continue to be, committed to maintaining the accuracy, confidentiality and security of your Personal Information. As part of this commitment, we have adopted the 10 Principles established by the Canadian Standards Association's Model Code for the protection of Personal Information. These principles form part of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (the "Act") and substantially similar provincial laws, which establish rules governing the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information by the private sector.
Our 10 Privacy Principles:
1. Accountability: All Sears associates are responsible for maintaining and protecting all Personal Information under their control. Sears has designated an individual to oversee the company's compliance with the Act and our 10 Privacy Principles (Associate Vice-President, Corporate Compliance, Sears Canada Inc., 290 Yonge St, Suite 700, Toronto, Ontario, M5B 2C3).
2. Identifying Purposes: We will identify the purposes for which Personal Information is collected, either before or at the time of collection.
3. Consent: We will only collect, use and disclose your Personal Information with your knowledge and consent, except where otherwise required or permitted by law.
4. Limiting Collection: We will limit the collection of your Personal Information to only those details that are necessary for the purposes identified.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Your Personal Information will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which it was collected, unless you have otherwise consented, or when it is required or permitted by law. We will only retain your Personal Information for the period of time required to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected.
6. Accuracy: We will keep Personal Information we collect as accurate, complete and up-to-date as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected.
7. Safeguards: We will protect the Personal Information we collect with security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
8. Openness: Information about our policies and practices relating to the management of Personal Information will be made readily available to you.
9. Access: At your request, we will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information, as well as give you access to the information. You have the right to challenge the accuracy and completeness of your information, and to amend it as necessary.
(See Access to, and Changing your Personal Information).
10. Challenging Compliance: You may contact us with any questions, complaints or suggestions with respect to the above principles.