Sears Canada PVC Policy
Some studies suggest that the manufacture, use and disposal of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) is directly or indirectly linked to both environmental and health concerns. Sears Canada is working to reduce and phase out PVC in its packaging and merchandise.
As such, Sears Canada will:
- Identify safer, more sustainable and cost-effective alternatives to PVC and incorporate them into the design and manufacturing process for private label merchandise and packaging;
- Show preference for PVC-free materials that do not contain highly hazardous chemicals and set a long term goal of sourcing bio-based polymers that are sustainably sourced, have higher recycled content, and can be reused, recycled, or composted;
- Show preference to incorporate the Society of the Plastics Industry labeling system on private label merchandise packaging to make it easier for consumers to incorporate packaging options into their purchase decision;
- Show preference to mark private label merchandise as PVC-free when true;
- Encourage vendors to reduce or eliminate their use of PVC in merchandise and packaging;
- Encourage vendors to utilize the Society of the Plastics Industry labeling system on packaging;
- Encourage vendors to label their merchandise as PVC-free when true.